background

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

I had lunch with a good friend yesterday, and we talked about the things we are looking forward to in 2012. She is counting down the minutes to a brand new year, and rightfully so. Her year has held a slew of transitions and challenges. In fact, many of my friends are in this same position. For many people I know, 2011 was a year of tragedy at its worst and uncomfortable transformation at its least.

However, 2011 for me, was probably the very best year of my life, thus far. It definitely came with a few curve balls. There was the day the Green Demon broke down and The Champ and I spent most of the day in the fetal position. And there was that one very expensive day in the emergency room, (if you don't know where your bartholin glands are, you are luckier than I.) And The Champ was laid off for several months, which was unsettling. But overall I'm hard pressed to even come up with low lights to write about.

Some of my most satisfying experiences happened this year. I graduated from grad school, started my therapy practice, picked up some part time work with my dad, found a church home, and married my very best friend. For the first time in a very long time, I am the epitome of settled in, and I couldn't imagine being more content.

We were finishing up some grocery shopping yesterday, and the clerk asked if we had New Year's plans. I said we would probably stay home. She commented, "Ah...a boring New Year huh?"

Boring? I'm planning to stretch out in the floor with the two best things that have ever happened to me, throw a movie in the dvd player, and munch on some goodies until we fall asleep. I suppose that what might look "boring" to others, looks like happiness to me.

And this year, while other people watch the ball drop with anticipation for 2012, I will be a little sad to put an end cap on 2011. Sad, but very thankful.

Some people have had a hard year, and for that reason they count down the seconds.

I have had an amazing year. So tonight, I will be counting my blessings.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. we had a similar "boring" NYE, but I am so thankful for all of 2011! Marrying your best friend...it's pretty fun :-)

    ReplyDelete