background

Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 34: I think I can, I think I can

Y'all know the little engine that could right? That's so me right now. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm ALMOST THERE. At this point, it's incredibly tempting to shrug my shoulders and say, "Eh, 34 is enough."

But 34 is not 40.

However, in an effort to be totally honest, I should tell you that I'm planning to introduce solid fruits and veggies into my diet on the last couple of days. I hadn't really intended on this, but in doing reading on how to break a fast, I actually got a little scared. There are stories out there of people ending up in the hospital by doing it wrong. (Of course, I think these people probably bailed on their fast and gorged themselves on mexican and cheeseburgers. I have zero intention of doing that.) And if circumstances were slightly different, I would wait the full 40 days before introducing.

But the day after my fast ends, we are leaving for the Smoky Mountains for a few days. It's sort of a mini honeymoon for us, and 1.) I don't want to end up having serious digestive complications while I'm away from home (definitely don't want to go to the hospital!) and 2.) I haven't been on vacation since 2008. I don't want to spend these few days eating nothing but fruits and vegetables and missing out on rare opportunities to have a nice dinner with my Champ.

So I will likely blend a banana in with my juice or protein shake on Day 38, and maybe actually eat some broccoli in there also. I had a long conversation with myself about whether or not that was cheating. You may think it is.

But the reply that pops into my head if you do is simply, "You go 38 days without food and we'll discuss it then."

Ultimately, my goal was to raise money and awareness for those boys in Uganda. Done. My goal was to lose weight and detox my body. Done. And done. My goal was to create a health plan that would change my nutrition post fast. Done. And I've also managed to become a runner, and cultivate some serious self esteem, neither of which I intended, but am seriously excited about.

Tomorrow there will be only 5 days left. Just one hand.

I think I can, I think I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment