background

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Post Fast: No Other Option

I've been eating solid food for 2 days now. It's really nothing all that exciting. I can't begin to tell you how amazing that little bit of information is. I was a food ADDICT. I was that girl who would be painfully full from breakfast yet still wondering when and what lunch would look like. I planned my entire day around food, because for some strange reason that I'm going to chalk up to my own insanity, I used food as my security blanket. It made me feel better.

Or so I thought.

Now, I can eat anything I want, and I'm sitting here typing this and drinking a Shakeology shake with a spoonful of natural peanut butter mixed in. It satisfies me, gives me energy, and makes me feel like I'm being an advocate for myself. Suddenly, all of those things are more important than a big meal.

Since ending the fast, I've had some pineapple, banana, sweet potato, broccoli, a Cliff bar, a few bites of sushi (YUM) and last night I had a spinach wrap with turkey and veggies. My stomach is doing great! It gurgles a bit when I eat, and things work their way through my system quickly, but I'm not sick like I was afraid I would be. Although I do get bloated and feel full quickly. But the best part is I really don't think about food much during the day! (I spent all that time fasting and pinning pictures of food, and now I really don't even care about them!)

I knocked out 4 miles yesterday, and decided that I can't wait until it warms up a little. Thirty degree weather is no fun to run in, but I'd rather do that than hit the terrible, awful dreadmill. Heading out soon for 3 more! (Who am I?!?!)

I've had this talk with several people this week, so I thought I'd share here. I've come to the conclusion that you make things happen in your life because there are really no other options. I survived a painful divorce because I HAD TO. If there had been an easy way out, I would have taken it. But there wasn't. There was just picking up the pieces and moving forward. I finished grad school, because I had paid thousands of dollars for a future that I knew would be better, so there was NO OTHER OPTION but to graduate. Never, for a split second, did I let my mind go to a place where "quitting" was a choice I could make.

Fitness is no different. People will lose weight and get in shape when they decide there is NO OTHER OPTION for them. It's not about your body. It's not about what you eat. It's first about getting your mind to the place where the only choice you have is to make it happen. That includes knowing it will suck, knowing it will be hard, knowing that you will want to give up, knowing that you might not do it perfectly, but KNOWING that success is the only end result.

This process changed me, and my only choice now is to be healthy and fit. I want my best ME all the time.

There is no other option.

1 comment:

  1. You're speaking my language, sister!! It's really helpful and motivating to know that someone else has suffered just as much as I have due to STUPID decision-making, but yet we pick up the pieces and make things better (eventually). Congratulations on your weight loss, your sacrifice, and your success! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete