background

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 25: Do It Anyway

It was drizzly this morning when I woke up, but I had already planned to go for a jog. So I got dressed, laced up my shoes, and walked to the front door. I opened it and listened to the rain hitting the pavement and the wind rustling the tree branches. And for about 60 seconds I stood there and argued with myself.

"Just go back to bed. You could sleep another hour."

"No. Half marathon. You HAVE to. Go."

"But it's raining. It can't be good for you to jog in the rain. Pneumonia and stuff."

"But you said you would. Do it."

"BUT I DON'T WANNA!"

"I don't care. Do it anyway."

And then I walked out of the front door, drove to the greenway, and logged a couple of more miles on my sneakers. The rain picked up a bit while I was jogging (okay, jogging/walking), and I didn't do the whole 3 mile stretch like I did the other times. And my pants that I got for Christmas kept sliding down, so I had to jog part of the trail holding the ipod in one hand and my waistband in the other. But I did it. And I was glad.

I've spent years talking about the things I'm going to do. I've made a ton of plans. I have put together lists and done a lot of research. But I've been terrible at making things happen. I was stuck on repeat, doing the same old thing the same old way, and being irrationally disappointed when I got the same old results.

I can't pinpoint what it is about this fast that has triggered so much passion in me, but I've never felt more capable of accomplishing things. I've never felt more empowered or inspired to change my life. I expected this process to clean me out. But I feel like God has refurbished me. He's taken out the defective thinking, the self defeat, the "stuckness" and replaced them with fully functional parts and a divinely driven purpose.

Twenty -five days ago when I looked out of my front door and saw the rain I would have gotten back in the bed.

But that was 25 days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment