background

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 36: Wagon Jumping

I think I'm officially ready to jump off the fasting wagon. I started reintroducing foods today, and that last little white knuckle hold I had on the wagon is gone. In fact, the wagon came pretty close to running me over.

So far, I've mixed a banana in with my protein shake, and I had some broccoli and sweet potato for lunch. My stomach is doing okay, although after the banana, I looked about 4 months pregnant for 30 minutes and wasn't sure whether I was going to poop or throw up. Everything worked itself out though. No worries.

I would love to say that I'll continue with just fruits and veggies until Thursday, but in all honesty, I think I'm ready to call it a day. I've been sick since yesterday, and while I could try and rationalize all the reasons that it's okay for me to quit early, the truth is, I just want to be done. Forty would be better. But on this particular journey, 36 feels like it has accomplished what it needed to, and I feel good about the experience.

I filled up on a very small amount of food, which I'm happy about, and I intend to keep doing meal replacement with Shakeology and fresh juice. I still plan to eat clean, and I'm set on a good training schedule for my running. On the whole, this fast has changed my life. I even won the Biggest Loser competition at church this morning, which got me a free full year membership to the gym!

I have lost 16-18 lbs depending on which scale I'm on. I've lost a total of 15 inches across my bust, waist, hips, arm, and leg. I've fit back into all of the "skinny" clothes in my closet, and some of those are almost too big. I've continued my workout routine and successfully run the 5k route in town twice now with only one walking break up that giant (horrible!) hill. I couldn't run a mile without stopping prior to this fast, so if I can do this, anyone can.

And most importantly, we've successfully raised a good chunk of money for those boys in Uganda, which was some awesome motivation. I hope they are blessed. I sure have been.

Next week, I'm taking my birthday money to go buy some hot mama running shoes so I can conquer my next goal-the half marathon. I've never in my life been excited about the concept of paying good money to run 13.1 miles. I totally am now.

If anyone is considering doing a fast, I hope you will go for it. It has changed me. I believe in myself in way that I never before have. I want to do things that will push me and challenge me. I want to live my very best life, because I finally believe that I'm worth that. I had no idea when I started on this journey that I would get all of this out of the process.

It feels amazing. I feel amazing. And I'm so thankful for all of the support and encouragement along the way. Some amazing people have had my back this whole time, and I can't thank you all enough.

I'm letting go of the wagon, but I'm holding onto the lessons. And I'm ready to run a new race.

"And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith." Hebrews 12:1b-2a

My life is better than it was 36 days ago, because I am better.

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Sara! Cant wait to see where those new shoes take you…

    ReplyDelete