background

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 14: Two Weeks

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that I haven't eaten solid food in 14 days. I WANT TO EAT! I keep thinking this will get easier, and I guess in some ways it has. I am fine physically. I'm fine emotionally. I'm no longer cranky, and I haven't killed anyone. I'm able to get through the day without feeling extreme hunger pangs, and I can work out with the same general intensity that I did before.

But the mental hunger has not gotten easier. I think about food constantly. However, my view on food is shifting. I no longer want greasy, processed foods. I have been doing some research on the food industry and the findings are, well, disgusting. Did you know that squeeze cheese contains a chemical commonly used as a stain remover? Assuming this is true, I could shampoo the carpet of an entire house with the amount of squeeze cheese I consumed during the summers by the pool when I was a kid. Gross.

I'm currently plotting ways to cook healthy foods that will be appetizing even to my 5 year old. I feel like I've failed him. I haven't spent any time worrying about his nutrition. I was the mom who ran through the drive through, threw together a p,b, & j, and/or heated up some frozen chicken nuggets out of convenience. I sort of hate myself for it, and I'm making up for it now. Unfortunately, it's difficult to undo 5 years of bad habits, so I fully expect some discourse. And since he's at his dad's half the week, where he tells me he gets to eat chocolate donuts for breakfast, I expect that this culinary shift will leave me much less popular.

I'm already in the doghouse for not having a gaming system in my home. I fear that feeding him oven roasted plantain chips might send him packing.

However, I think I've got 14 days that says I'm not one to back down from a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment