background

Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 2

I'm ok so far. But it's early.

I had planned to begin my 40 days in late February. I wanted to wait until then, because it would be after a trip that The Champ and I are planning to take, and also after both of our birthdays. (mmmmmm.......cake!) It would simply be a more convenient time.

And then I went to church yesterday. I didn't realize that while God was speaking to me, He was also heavily working on the heart of my friend, Beth. God just told me to fast and raise money. He told her to fast and where to send it. So we joined forces for Fast it Forward.

Then, I listened to the sermon in church, where they kicked off The Biggest Loser series about letting go of things that weigh you down, physically, mentally, and spiritually. And at some point during the sermon, I can't even tell you what happened, but I leaned over to The Champ and whispered, "I'm supposed to start fasting today." For a split second he looked at me in complete shock, but then he said, "Ok, let's do it!" LET'S! As in, he's going to fast with me! But he's planning to do a 10 day fast, not the full 40. So THEN, they did the invitation and I sobbed.

I kept thinking back to the brokenness in my life, all the ways that my life has crumbled and God has still called me His. I thought about the mess He pulled me out of and what a special gift He gave me in the man that was sitting beside me. I thought about how wonderful my life is, and how I had nothing to do with that. I thought about how I really have every need met. And how others don't get the same set of circumstances. How could I have gotten it SO WRONG SO MANY TIMES and still see so much GRACE from God?

He must REALLY love me.

So I'm on day 2 of Fast it Forward. So far, I'm ok. Hungry, but not hurting. I expect as the day goes on it will get harder. But now my friends in Uganda know about the project, so there's no turning back! There is a handful of young men, who need this whole thing to succeed. In like a serious God kind of way.

Fasting for 40 days will not kill me. Not fasting for 40 days, just might kill them. It's the first time I've ever felt that I was making a real difference!

Can you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment