background

Friday, January 6, 2012

That still, small voice

"And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:

And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?" (1Kings 19:11-13)

Do you know that feeling when God speaks to you?

It happened to me today. Actually, it's been happening more frequently lately, possibly because God is speaking to me more, or perhaps just because I'm paying closer attention. Either way, something is going on.

In my previous post, I mentioned the possibility of doing an extended juice fast. I don't just want to do a juice fast. In fact, I really think it will be rather terrible. It's that I feel called to do a juice fast. Something is going on.

I can't explain my passion for juicing. Really, it's shocking even to me. I've spent the last 30 years smearing mayonnaise on things and trying to find ways to make chocolate a breakfast food. (What is, Nutella, Alex.) But when I started this whole juicing thing, something changed in my gut. My physical one and my spiritual one. Something is going on.

Then, I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." Again, probably shouldn't be so enamored with a documentary about juicing. But I've watched it three times. In a month. Something is going on.

And today, as I was arguing with God over why I wouldn't be able to do this, He spoke to me.

"There's no way I can go 40 days without food. I just can't. I. Just. Can't."

"Yes, you can. I will be there."

"But I'll be hungry all the time. It will be bad for my health. It will be bad for my clarity. It will be bad for my MARRIAGE!"

"Do it anyway. I will be there."

"But I will starve!"

"Sara...this is starving."

And then a heartbreaking picture flashed through my mind, like this one of "Little Guy" and I realized why God was calling me to fast. I'm not supposed to do it for me. I'm supposed to do it for them. (Which is just weird, because while I've always hated seeing pictures of starving children, I've never felt called to action like this!)

God didn't speak to me through the wind, or an earthquake, or a fire. He spoke to me in His still, small voice coming from the quiet whir of a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer. And He asked me what I heard.

And I heard, "Help them."

Something is going on.

Stay tuned for how you can get on board.

Y'all, God is so weird sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment