background

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 5: Ugh

I wish I could write that every day is a new revelation about God and that it's the best time ever! It's not.

Today was probably my worst day so far. I hadn't really experienced any detox symptoms until today. I woke up with a headache, a sore throat, and a coated tongue. (Sexy, huh?!) I took some Tylenol, and did my best to deal with it. I was at home all day with E, so I was able to lay down for a bit in the middle of the day. That seemed to help.

But the flip side of that is that I was at home all day with a growing 5 year old. He eats a ton! First he wanted sausage biscuits, then chicken fingers, then a peanut butter sandwich. It took every ounce of self control I could find in my achy body to not eat the last little bite of chicken or the crusts from his sandwich. When he asked why I wasn't eating, I showed him pictures of hungry kids on the other side of the world and tried to explain. It was a good reminder for me, and about an hour later he asked if he could save some of his sandwich and send it to the hungry kids. If nothing else gets accomplished by this little journey, then at least my kid has a greater world view.

The Champ had to ditch his fasting early due to a root canal and some CAPITAL LETTER pain meds. He would get violently ill if he didn't eat something with them, so he came home and started (is still!) snacking on garlic laden pretzels. By this time, my headache was back and my throat was starting to ache again. I had successfully completed extreme sculpting class, but by the time I got home I could tell my fuse was short. I made myself go take a shower just to avoid biting off any of the heads of my loved ones.

It only worked mildly. I am currently toeing the very thin line between slightly irritable and nasty witch. I remembered to read my Psalm today. Psalm 36:8 says "they feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights."

So I'm meditating on what God is trying to teach me through this. I have no desire to be Super Christian. I have no desire to even be anyone's role model. It's been a good long while since I even desired to pay God any attention. But I am now. So I'm focusing on feasting on the abundance of His house.

I wonder if His house smells like garlic and sounds like crunchy. Mine does.

Lord, help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment