background

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 18

In two days I will have made it halfway! On one hand, I can't believe it's already here, and on the other, OHMYGOODNESSIWANTFOOD.

I've pretty much made peace with the fact that the mental hunger isn't going anywhere. I still sort of pine for food all day long. Today was worse than most, because I was away from my juicer and went WAY too long between "meals." The physical hunger sort of sent the mental hunger into overdrive, and now, even though I'm home and have juiced, I'm still sort of salivating.

I was talking to a client today about the tight knit connection of risk and reward, and how it's hard to experience the fullness of any reward when there was no measurable risk involved. We all go through this. The risk of changing careers. The risk of falling in love. The risk of diving in and making your marriage work, or the risk of leaving it altogether. Nothing good ever really comes to us without some amount of challenge, some little swell of fear, some momentary question of "am I really about to do this?"

Eighteen days ago I found myself taking a risk. It wasn't like I was doing anything earth shattering. And honestly, if I failed, all I'd really have to deal with was a little bit of public scrutiny and a whole lot of personal shame. But it was a risk all the same. It has definitely been accompanied by challenge, there was a healthy dose of fear, and several times during that sermon on Sunday I asked myself, "Am I really about to do this?" But 18 days from now, I'll be rounding the end of the challenge and ready to collect my reward.

New eating habits that will enhance my life.
Motivation to make the right choice for me and my family.
An encouraging amount of weight loss.
A definite sense of accomplishment.

And a few lives made better on the other side of the world.

I sort of think it already, but in 22 days I will know it for certain.

This is well worth the risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment